List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Font embedding -- TrueType
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-08-14 17:33:40

> Looking into the bug. I agree that we should try to find out the correct PS
> font name from the font file if possible. Unfortunately on a lot of systems
> with server side fonts or a font server this is impossible. So we have to
> keep our heuristic name generation.

My theory here is that if the fonts are on the screen, you should be able
to get the font file to read the PS font name.

It was my understanding that if you have FontConfig and FreeType2 that you
can get the font file location from FontConfig and then a FreeType2 call
can get the PS font name -- at least on a desktop system.  If not with a
font server, then improvements need to be made there so the job would be
simple.

I currently have a kludge that works on my desktop system -- generates PS
files with the correct PostScript names without embedding the fonts.  I'll
get into it tomorrow since today I have to take my Father to the doctor.

>>But, I was just talking about printing on you own system.
>

> Even then. I have a postscript printer, so I don't use ghostscript at all. I
> need font embedding.

Absolutely correct.  But, I think, most of us don't and use GhostScript.

Later, gotta go.
--
JRT