List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RTL and KDE vs. QT
From:       Behdad Esfahbod <behdad () bamdad ! org>
Date:       2002-06-29 13:17:20

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Arash Zeini wrote:

> > > Do KDE developers know this from a 'written' source? Is there any manual
> > > out there in this regard?
> >
> > As far as konsole is concerned I am absolutely clueless about how things
> > should behave in the face of BIDI, it's not so much the BIDI aspect itself
> > as well as the interaction between BIDI, shell and terminal.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Waldo
>
> Are you familiar with "mlterm"? In my opinion that is a good concept to
> follow up. There are some other examples available for xterm too. Important
> is that you can use commands like cat and less on the command line and
> read/write files for example in Farsi.
> Emacs ran from within mlterm supports Farsi quite well.

I'm still studying the behaviour of bidi terminals, not following
any specifications, but just two following rules:

	* It should be quite transparent (also in efficiency)
with non-bidi texts.

	* The output on bidi text should be as near as possible
to my desire as a bidi native.

And nobody knows the exact situation yet.  Seems that no one is
going to read the f***ing Ecma 48 and 53s.  I will start soon.
So for the meantime, lets play with Konsole, to *do something* on
bidi chars.  I wasn't able to make it render persian text, even
when fonts set :-(.

> An important issue on the command line (i.e. for konsole) is the support for
> a Farsi keyboard. To open files, saved with a Farsi name the user needs to be
> able to type Farsi on the prompt. Hence the ability to change console
> keyboard layouts is essential. This should probably be integrated in KDE:
> When you change the keyboard layout, it should automatically change it for
> the Konsole too. With a group change option you should then be able to change
> between different layouts. At the other hand an option to have the Konsole
> keyboard not changed would be handy for people that don't want to do so.

I think the current solution is more than enough.

> I think this could be the direction here.
> I am sure Behdad (CCed) will be able to say more here.

Fortunately I have been able in setting my filters to recognize
*important* (bidically) messages, so no need to CC ;-).

BTW, I will release my codes soon, then I can do something about
Konsole.

--
Behdad Esfahbod				8 Tir 1381, 2002 Jun 29
http://behdad.org/			[Finger for Geek Code]

John Coffey...you have been
condemned to die in the electric
chair by a jury of your