On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Arash Zeini wrote: > On Friday 28 June 2002 21:07, Waldo Bastian wrote: > > On Friday 28 June 2002 06:21 pm, Arash Zeini wrote: > > > > > It is almost not working in Kate. > > > > > Is there any specific guideline or recommendation on how to implement > > > > > and support BiDi and RTL in KDE applications? Is the problem solved > > > > > in Qt or KDE level? > > > > > > > > Mostly Qt. But KDE apps which implement their own text layout stuff > > > > need to reimplement/reuse Qt's mechanism. > > > > > > Do KDE developers know this from a 'written' source? Is there any manual > > > out there in this regard? > > > > As far as konsole is concerned I am absolutely clueless about how things > > should behave in the face of BIDI, it's not so much the BIDI aspect itself > > as well as the interaction between BIDI, shell and terminal. > > > > Cheers, > > Waldo > > Are you familiar with "mlterm"? In my opinion that is a good concept to > follow up. There are some other examples available for xterm too. Important > is that you can use commands like cat and less on the command line and > read/write files for example in Farsi. > Emacs ran from within mlterm supports Farsi quite well. I'm still studying the behaviour of bidi terminals, not following any specifications, but just two following rules: * It should be quite transparent (also in efficiency) with non-bidi texts. * The output on bidi text should be as near as possible to my desire as a bidi native. And nobody knows the exact situation yet. Seems that no one is going to read the f***ing Ecma 48 and 53s. I will start soon. So for the meantime, lets play with Konsole, to *do something* on bidi chars. I wasn't able to make it render persian text, even when fonts set :-(. > An important issue on the command line (i.e. for konsole) is the support for > a Farsi keyboard. To open files, saved with a Farsi name the user needs to be > able to type Farsi on the prompt. Hence the ability to change console > keyboard layouts is essential. This should probably be integrated in KDE: > When you change the keyboard layout, it should automatically change it for > the Konsole too. With a group change option you should then be able to change > between different layouts. At the other hand an option to have the Konsole > keyboard not changed would be handy for people that don't want to do so. I think the current solution is more than enough. > I think this could be the direction here. > I am sure Behdad (CCed) will be able to say more here. Fortunately I have been able in setting my filters to recognize *important* (bidically) messages, so no need to CC ;-). BTW, I will release my codes soon, then I can do something about Konsole. > Thanks, > Arash -- Behdad Esfahbod 8 Tir 1381, 2002 Jun 29 http://behdad.org/ [Finger for Geek Code] John Coffey...you have been condemned to die in the electric chair by a jury of your peers...sentence imposed by a judge in good standing in this state. Do you have anything to say before sentence is carried out? ... We each owe a death, there are no exceptions, but sometimes, oh God, the Green Mile is so long... >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<