List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Duplicated efforts and consistency (SDI/MDI in konq, konsole etc. ...)
From:       Cullmann Christoph <crossfire () babylon2k ! de>
Date:       2001-03-12 21:20:28

Am Montag, 12. März 2001 21:52 schrieb Waldo Bastian:
> On Monday 12 March 2001 11:19, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> > Obviously having a widget or at least a consistent mechanism which offers
> > to switch between:
> >
> > - SDI
> > - toplevel MDI
> > - tabbed MDI
> > - Emacsstyle MDI
>
> I think SDI is still the preffered way. Toplevel MDI is broken by design
> IMO. Certain applications may benefit from tabbed or emacsstyle MDI though.
> I guess you could add some support for tabbed and emacsstyle MDI.
>
> Such an MDI solution should also provide some menu support then.
>
> One of the things that I don't like about MDI is that you need a whole
> bunch of menu-actions for managing your windows. Look how many stuff
> konqueror has for this.
>
> With a more general MDI solution, applications should default to SDI with
> an configration option to enable MDI mode. That way the application can
> dump a bunch of its menu-entries when running SDI, making it less heavy
> handed and overwhelming for new users.
Exactly right, there should be a lib, call it kdemdi or so.... with which the
developer can minimize the programming efforts and the user have the choice
between MDI tabs, MDI emacs style or SDI windows. That wouldn't break KDE SDI
style and help users migrating from Windows (where MDI is very popular) or
only users who like MDI or SDI.

Look at Gnome MDI (it isn't nice, but something like that, where you have a
global control in kontrol center over the behaviour of the apps (tab,
splitter, SDI) and each app can have its own preferences).

If you create such a lib, I would enjoy it to use it in Kant.

cu and greetings ;)
Christoph