List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Duplicated efforts and consistency (SDI/MDI in konq, konsole etc. ...)
From:       Richard Stevens <mail () richardstevens ! de>
Date:       2001-03-12 21:07:39

Hi,

first of all, sorry for posting into a restricted area ;)

> I think SDI is still the preffered way. Toplevel MDI is broken by design
> IMO.

I really don't understand why many KDE-Developers are agains MDI but I'd like
to understand. Is there some document covering the reasons for not having MDI
in KDE? Maybe somebody remembers, where to look in the mailinglistarchive. I
heard it has been discussed heavily in the past.

> With a more general MDI solution, applications should default to SDI with
> an configration option to enable MDI mode. That way the application can
> dump a bunch of its menu-entries when running SDI, making it less heavy
> handed and overwhelming for new users.

Can't resist. Most of them will come from Windows and know MDI anyways ;)

Cheers,

Richard

--
---
http://www.richardstevens.de

Unix IS user friendly, it is just selective about who his friends are.