List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Duplicated efforts and consistency (SDI/MDI in konq, konsole etc. ...)
From:       Torsten Rahn <torsten () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-12 21:26:39

> > With a more general MDI solution, applications should default to SDI with
> > an configration option to enable MDI mode. That way the application can
> > dump a bunch of its menu-entries when running SDI, making it less heavy
> > handed and overwhelming for new users.
>
> Can't resist. Most of them will come from Windows and know MDI anyways ;)

No, I think Waldo is right on this one: SDI is in the most simple case the
most simple solution usability-wise. Once the user has explored the
menus and toolbars of an application SDI can be a real hinerance
(depending on the situation). In that situation it would be really nice for
the advanced user to choose the most effective MDI-solution.
Therefore it makes sense to always have SDI by default.

Greetings,
Tackat