List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KAB issues for bin compatible freeze
From:       Don Sanders <don () sanders ! org>
Date:       2000-06-05 0:20:48

Hi Mirko,

I worked on address book stuff a bit more this weekend, I'm pretty close to
supporting libkab as a backend except for problems with custom fields. I'm now
quite certain that I need or at least would very much like support for custom
fields. Mirko could you please add a new data member to AddressBook for this,
something like the following would be nice:

QStringList custom; // Custom, possibly application specific fields

I will then store all my custom fields for an application in a single string in
this list. I'll prefix the string used by an application with an obvious
prefix, eg "Kontact:" for custom fields used by the Kontact addressbook I'm
working on.

The other issue is that I don't understand how the addressbook locking works. I
guess I want to open the address book read only and only open it for write
access for the duration of a 'non const' operation like add, change, remove.
How do I do this, or am I not meant to do it this way?

BTW I believe adding a data member to the Addressbook class will not be binary
compatible.

Thanks for any answers,
Don.