List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Reality check :-)
From:       tibirna () kde ! org
Date:       2000-06-05 0:14:51

On Sun, 4 Jun 2000 at 23:19 +0200, Carsten Pfeiffer said:

> On Sun, Jun 04, 2000 at 09:29:31AM -0400, tibirna@kde.org wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > a) one little gem that passed overseen is the excellent 'klipper' in the
> > kdeutils package. Right now it lacks maintainance, but it's really, really
> > nice. And unlike ms offers, it's even able to offer trans-session
>
> I added all the actions (url-dingus-thingy-stuff), dialogs,
> history-saving etc. and I do maintain it. I would even go further and
> integrate a dictionary somehow, but I don't have the time for this at
> the moment (but kdeutils isn't freezing now).
>
> Do you have some feature requests, bugreports or anything I could put on
> my TODO?

Hehe, I said it's unmaintained a bit hastily. Because a) I didn't remember
any CVS log about it in the last few months; b) I tested it before sending
my mail and it popped some "residual" menu before docking in the
kicker. Also, the config dialog layout isn't right. But I understand
you're looking after it so I appologize.

Feature requests:
a) make it into a general API or maybe an action to plug in applications
(I know that the current dock icon provides transparent "support" to all
apps, it's just that I believe users will difficulty realise this. Am I
right?)

b) detect duplicated items

c) add automatic support for the already defined mimetypes

d) enhance the support for "clipboardable" data to the full X capacities
(DISCLAIMER: I didn't investigate at all on this, but I seem to remember
that X clipboard mechanism isn't limited to text)

Cut/Copy/Paste is an important function of a desktop envir, much more
important than the too highly praised DnD. Good suport for CCP will gain
an excellent point to KDE.

--
Cristian Tibirna     : ctibirna@total.net     : www.total.net/~ctibirna
PhD Student          : ctibirna@gch.ulaval.ca : web.gch.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna