List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: KPanelApplet
From:       Graham TerMarsch <graham () howlingfrog ! com>
Date:       2000-06-05 0:24:30

mosfet wrote:
> Ugh, this discussion again, Sorry, but dropping either internal or
> external applets is just plain wrong.
[.....snip.....]

First, I'll apoligize to all for throwing in another 2 cents into this
discussion after you've all gone through.  As an outside-the-discussion
person, I'd like to put in where as an applet developer, I'd like to see
things go.

IMHO, I can see there being a whole lot of use and appeal to having both an
internal and external means of firing up applets.  Having them run inside
of Kicker's memory space to conserve memory is great, and I also agree that
for some things you might just want to run them as an external applet
anyways (e.g. I'm writing a new applet and am trying to track down a bug in
it somewhere).

Do correct me if I'm totally wrong and off-base here, but wouldn't it be
possible to have a single API thats used for internal applets, but where
the option would be to either load it up from "kicker" itself, or from some
other third-party process that does the shared library load?  The only
"other" API that I could see being needed for that would be for the process
that loads up the external applets.  Think of it as some sort of
kick-starter that we could build and include in kdebase, but that we'd only
ever have to build one of; it'd have the same applet API as kicker does and
would treat things in the same way, but would get swallowed by kicker
similarly to how kpanel does things now.

Then again, I could be totally off-base here.  I see merits to both types
of APIs, but would find it more convenient if as an applet developer I only
ever had to worry about one (internal) API, and that some other "out of the
box" process that came with KDE took care of running things in a separate
process space.

Possible?  Or am I just not on the right page?

--
Graham TerMarsch

// All that glitters is not gold; all that wander are not lost.