List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KAB issues for bin compatible freeze
From:       Mirko Sucker <mirko.sucker () unibw-hamburg ! de>
Date:       2000-05-31 21:32:14

Don Sanders wrote:

> There are several unresolved issues with integrating KAB and KMail, I'm
> working on solving them.
>
> I can see at least one problem with the current API, it doesn't allow address
> book entries to contain custom fields. I can work around this limitation if
> need be, but the work around won't be pretty.
The current implementation provides four fields that may be used
arbitrarily and may be named by the user. The number of four has been
chosen by me and is easy to change (possibly even binary compatible, I
am unsure about this).

If you want to use this fields in a standardized way from your GUI, it
should be better to add standardized fields, what is prepapared and a
matter of minutes. If you want to support an unlimited number of user
defined fields, this would be possible, but most probably need more
effort.

As a proposal, try to implement everything supported by now and lets
extend the library when binary incompatible changes are allowed again.

In my opinion, this limitations limit only applications that are
currentlxy unreleased, like Don´s GUI for the addressbook. Have a look
at kab, it advances quickly and uses only this library, nothing else.

What I will do is
° fix all this user interface buglets in the addressbook application
(there are some...) Functionally, it is merely done.
° have a look at the integration of kab and kmail.
Like lots of other apps, kab (the application) is not in a state to fix
the ABI (estimated 90% done). But the library is.
Greetings,
--Mirko.
--
Drei Dinge gibt es, denen alle Menschen gern gemütlich zuschauen:
° fliessendes Wasser,