List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Back to the basics
From:       Kurt Granroth <kurt_granroth () email ! mot ! com>
Date:       1999-09-29 19:46:31

Daniel Naber wrote:
> On Mit, 29 Sep 1999, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> > The two arguments in favor of using CORBA are so:
> >
> > 2) CORBA allows for networked components
> >
> > I reject 2) completely.  I have not ever heard of this happening.
>
> Maybe, but you will here of it. No matter if we implement it, other
> will do so and then we'll have to follow and people will say "KDE
> cannot innovate".
>
> Frankly, I'm surprised nobody seems to see the power of
> remote components and how important they migt get.

I definitely see the "potential" power of remote components... my beef
with it is that it hasn't happened yet and I don't see it happening
anytime soon.  You say it yourself -- "...how important they MIGHT
get".

This goes back to what I was talking about -- KDE isn't built on
promises and potentials.  It is built on stuff that works right NOW.

One could say that "in the future, everybody will have a 1 gigabit
line to their house" and if that is true, then yes, KDE will need to
have remote components.  I can't see that happening for many years,
though, so hamstringing ourselves NOW is silly!

> KDE has achieved so much - today we cannot just think
> "but I never saw that in real use upto now" but be have to look
> into the future. And not just that, if there's a vision like "remote
> components everywhere" we can *make* it come true, we
> don't have to wait for others to do so!

But we *do* have to wait!  Can you imagine running an OpenParts GUI
over a 56K (or slower) link?  It's pretty slow running *locally* -- it
would be completely unusable with anything less than a T1.  We could
not make this fly until the majority of KDE users had such a 'net
connection.
--
Kurt Granroth            | granroth@kde.org
KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth