Daniel Naber wrote: > On Mit, 29 Sep 1999, Kurt Granroth wrote: > > The two arguments in favor of using CORBA are so: > > > > 2) CORBA allows for networked components > > > > I reject 2) completely. I have not ever heard of this happening. > > Maybe, but you will here of it. No matter if we implement it, other > will do so and then we'll have to follow and people will say "KDE > cannot innovate". > > Frankly, I'm surprised nobody seems to see the power of > remote components and how important they migt get. I definitely see the "potential" power of remote components... my beef with it is that it hasn't happened yet and I don't see it happening anytime soon. You say it yourself -- "...how important they MIGHT get". This goes back to what I was talking about -- KDE isn't built on promises and potentials. It is built on stuff that works right NOW. One could say that "in the future, everybody will have a 1 gigabit line to their house" and if that is true, then yes, KDE will need to have remote components. I can't see that happening for many years, though, so hamstringing ourselves NOW is silly! > KDE has achieved so much - today we cannot just think > "but I never saw that in real use upto now" but be have to look > into the future. And not just that, if there's a vision like "remote > components everywhere" we can *make* it come true, we > don't have to wait for others to do so! But we *do* have to wait! Can you imagine running an OpenParts GUI over a 56K (or slower) link? It's pretty slow running *locally* -- it would be completely unusable with anything less than a T1. We could not make this fly until the majority of KDE users had such a 'net connection. -- Kurt Granroth | granroth@kde.org KDE Developer/Evangelist | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Linux