List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Transparency -- take 2
From:       Mosfet <mosfet () jorsm ! com>
Date:       1999-09-29 19:54:39

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Geert Jansen wrote:
> Mosfet wrote:
>
> > I like this too and considered it (sharing the Pixmap handles across
> > applications). The problem: When KDesktop crashes all psudeo-transparent apps
> > will crash. You will need to check before each access and do something else if
> > the "server" is gone.
>
> What about XSetCloseDownMode() ?
> If I understand it correctly (I'm a X newbie) it can be used to retain all
> resources after the conncection closes. It doesn't work on individual
> resources, though. so it is kind of overkill but then again kdesktop isn't
> suppose to crash.

Eeek, no that is supposed to only be used debugging. The *last* thing you want
is to have resources of *any* crashed application laying around. Also, you
can't keep the data as Pixmaps then. Also, I think those resources will stay
around unless if you use temporary.

Perhaps one could catch all the close signals, spawn another instance first,
then manually copy the pixmaps over before actually exiting. Sloppy tho ;-)

mosfet@mandrakesoft.com
mosfet@kde.org
mosfet@jorsm.com