List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Support for animated icons (on mouseover)
From:       Allan Sandfeld Jensen <snowwolf () one2one-networks ! com>
Date:       2002-01-17 8:22:35

On Wednesday 16 January 2002 15:45, David Faure wrote:
> The two patches attached provide support for animations on mouseover, as
> requested by our beloved artist (aka tackat ;)
>
> The main question is: given the current feature freeze, is it ok to commit
> this nonetheless ?
>
> Details: The patch for am_edit makes it possible to install the mng already
> present in kdelibs/pics/hicolor.
> When the mouse goes over an icon (in konq/kdesktop), KIconLoader locates an
> mng with the same name as the icon (currently only folder.mng exists), then
> a QMovie is created to play it - each frame of the MNG is set as the
> QIconViewItem pixmap, quite simple.
>
> The memory overhead is one pointer per icon (the movie, 0L most of the
> time), and the filename for the icon in a QString (e.g. "folder").
>
> The patch moves m_size from KFileIVI to KIconViewItem -> no change for most
> iconviews, however this makes the patch BIC.

The last API change is properbly the most easily acceptable now. It would
ease the way for including animated icons in KDE 3.1. Right now we dont even
depend on libmng.
So a safe middle path would be to make your API change, depend on libmng but
postpone animated icons for KDE3.1. (depending on libmng could to start with
optimize the konqueror spinning icon).

-Allan