List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Word-wrap in message boxes.
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-17 6:53:45

On Tuesday 15 January 2002 12:36 am, Matthias Elter wrote:
> >We also have a bunch of dialogs from 2.2 times that
> > still have manual line-breaks and those are really ugly because it can
> > happen that they automatically break one-word before the manual break.
>
> Yes, then lets remove all manual line breaks.

Ok, I think I have done most of kdelibs and kdebase. If you find any
mid-sentence line-breaks there let me know.

I used the attached script. When you go to your cvs directory you can type:
	findmsgs kdelibs
and it will create a file /tmp/kdelibs.msgs and /tmp/kdelibs.files.

I open all files in kdelibs.files one by one in my editor and have
kdelibs.msgs open to see on which line I have to be.

Make sure to update all files first:
	cd kdelibs; cvs update `cut -d '/' -f 2- /tmp/kdelibs.files`

Also make sure to update once again when you're done, otherwise you
commit empty changes. Then you can commit with:
	cd kdelibs; cvs commit `cut -d '/' -f 2- /tmp/kdelibs.files`

Please note that only texts that go into a messagebox should be changed. You
tend to get a few wrong hits on WhatsThis stuff and some toher various stuff.

If two sentences are part of the same paragraph there should be two spaces
behind the '.' At the end of a paragraph may be one (and only one) linebreak.
(Multiple linebreaks are ignored anyway). There should be no linebreak at the
end of the text. (linebreaks at the end are ignored anyway) If the text
contains richtext tags there should be no linebreaks at all. (again, they are
ignored anyway)

If 2 or 3 people can help with this, we can have done all of CVS by tomorrow.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian@suse.com

["findmsgs" (text/plain)]

function grepmsgs () { egrep -H -n '[^\.?>!\:]\\n"$' $1 | egrep -v '([\.?>!\:][\ \
]+)\\n' | egrep -v '\"[a-zA-Z\-]+:' | egrep -v "TRANSLATORS" | egrep -v '\"\\n\"';}

for a in `find $1 -type f -name '*.cc' -o -name '*.cpp'`; do grepmsgs $a; done | sort \
> /tmp/$1.msgs

cut -d ':' -f 1 /tmp/$1.msgs | sort -u > /tmp/$1.files