List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Support for animated icons (on mouseover)
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-17 9:46:16

On Wednesday, 16. January 2002 17:10, Rob Kaper wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 05:00:40PM +0100, Matthias Elter wrote:
> > I tend to say "yes" but considering the clear "no" from our release dude
> > to John Firebaughs kicker auto hide tweaks my opinion is either reject
> > all features commits or define clear rules which features may break the
> > freeze.
>
> The sooner we get 3.0 out, the sooner we can have tons of commits for
> lovely features. And the more we reject, the sooner HEAD will be stable
> enough for 3.0.
>
> If it were up to me, it's "no" unless it is something that really really
> really needs to be done now to avoid BC problems for future KDE 3.x
> releases.

I have two things in mind here: one is that we want to get 3.0 out the door
but the other is that the API lifetime should be quite long. That means that
BIC changes *need* to go in right NOW, because otherwise the whole features
can't be put in at *all* later during the 3.x cycle.

Please keep that in mind and do your decisions based on that need, please :)
That will make our lifetime this year a lot easier. Features in the libs but
not so much on the application side if it breaks too much/affects
translators/whatever. Application features can be put in during the upgrade
cycle, Library features can't.

Ralf