List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Trendy kfm?
From:       Jason H <dkfalcon () pmtinet ! com>
Date:       1998-08-19 3:53:46

Count Zero wrote:

> A side note... Why is KDE such a resource hog?  I switch between several window
> managers under RH 5.1 and find that NONE cause my mp3's to skip (using tk3play
> as my player) EXCEPT KDE.  It causes skipping every time you drag a window, or
> scroll through a text box.  I run a stout system (Pent-II 300, 128 megs RAM,
> Diamond Stealth PCI video, AWE 64) there is no reason that KDE should use so
> much resources that something as simple as screen re-draws should cause tk3play
> to skip. This is yet another "bad idea" that KDE has adopted from Microsoft.  I
> experienced similar skips under Windows once I started using the "Active
> Desktop" funny how that is also the thing that started this post off...
> (integrated web browser/shell) maybe its a bad idea all the way around for some
> obvious, and less than obvious reasons (obvious: some people don't like it.
> less than obvious: causes mp3 playing to skip...)
>
> Anyway, enjoy your life...

I have noticed this rather annoying problem as well. I use X11AMP and KDE on a 200
MHz K6 machine (plenty fast enough to play mp3's smoothly) and get recurring skips
and X11AMP eventually crashes completely on me, making me go to TOP and kill all
of its child processes before allowing me to resume mp3 playing. The crashing may
not be a KDE problem, as XAMP is still in beta, but with as low of CPU usage as it
has, I see no reason for the skipping. I have also noticed when dragging the
X11AMP window on the screen, it lags far behind my mouse most of the time (once
again maybe not a KFM/KWM problem, but this may be worth investigating).

Jason H