List:       kde
Subject:    Why NT is better than KDE/UNIX
From:       "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons () cpkwebser5 ! ncr ! disa ! mil>
Date:       1998-08-19 4:04:41

!WARNING! THIS MESSAGE IS FLAME BATE.  YES THIS IS AN OPEN TROLL!!!!

I work with both NT and Unix on a daily basis and I find that NT is, in
general, easier to administer.  People may say this is because I am not
as smart as the true Unix administrator.  Ok perhaps this is the case.
M$ has put a lot of thought and effort into making NT easy to
administer.  There are many powerful, well integrated, intuitive to use
administration tools that come with NT.  I believe that the open source
and freeware community should work toward creating a Unix administration
suite that is as easy to use and as well integrated as NT is.

This post is intended as a conversation starter.  It is also intended as
a wake-up call for those who think that M$ is not creating a product
that represents a formidable challenge to the Unix market share.  I
favor the open-source/freeware model of software development.  It will
eventually prevail, but it has a long way to go before it will be as
easy to use as NT.  When people make decisions about which operating
system to use as a basis for their business, they care more about how
easy it is to implement and maintain than how efficient, cheap, or
versatile it is.  It seems to me that the KDE is the place to focus an
integrated UNIX administration suite effort.

BTW, I run the KDE on S.u.S.E. Linux and it is very stable.  Just a few
minor bugs.

Steve
--

[http://counter.li.org]   S.u.S.E. Linux, www.suse.com

I Think,
I think I am,
Therefore I am,
I think? - Graeme Edge of the Moody Blues