List:       userlinux-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Discuss] ISV's and Licensing
From:       tackat () t-online ! de
Date:       2003-12-12 9:35:24

Hi List,

> Obviously, the agenda of Free Software developers isn't the same as
that
> of Enterprise Users. UserLinux is in a sense bait, in that if they

I can't tell you about the U.S., but Enterprise Users in Europe want KDE
these days. Take the LinuxWorldExpo in Frankfurt for example: About 90%
of the desktops of this enterprise event ran KDE, followed by a lot of
desktops based on Windows and very few desktops based on Gnome or
Windowmaker.  In fact the usage of KDE was much broader than the usage
of SuSE itself (so you can do the math yourself that SuSE is not so much
a reason). Even Redhat had to learn that you can't sell a distribution
without KDE in Europe - especially in Germany of course. Same situation
in the book stores: If you want to buy a book you'll discover that most
of them are KDE exclusive. I met somebody from a big publishing house at
LWCE who did an "experiment" with a GNOME book recently. Having asked
him about the success he answered that it was not a good idea and that a
Qt book would be his next project.

> a little at a time. They are looking for a platform with an excellent
> proprietary software ecosystem around it. So, let's give them that,

Obviously you are describing software development with Qt. The small
company I work for chose Qt over Gtk because of the fact that you can be
much more productive with it and because it will therefore be much
cheaper to develop with in the end (Actually this decision was rather a
nobrainer for the management). And so do numerous other companies: Apart
from the examples mentioned here a lot of others come to my mind: the
office library which features the Brockhaus / Duden dictionary and which
is obviously targeted at enterprise users: This proprietary application
uses Qt.

Regards,
Torsten Rahn