List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] OpenDocument vs. MS Open XML
From:       "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons () globalsymmetry ! com>
Date:       2005-11-29 20:23:45

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 15:06, Per Jessen wrote:
> Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> > My own opinion is that both of these specification are a bad use of
> > XML. Nonetheless, they seem to provided what the masses want in a word
> > processor.
>
> The masses surely couldn't care less how the document format is defined,
> be it in XML or not?  I like it being in XML right now - it makes it
> easy to do fast mass document merges ("mailmerge") external to OO.

What I really mean is these specifications support the illconceived notion of
unstructured documents where you can simply stick almost anything almost
anywhere.  My preference is for more structured approaches such as DocBook
with Emacs and PSGML, or nXML.  I wish more people saw the light on this.

Lots of tools give lipservice to such standards as DocBook, but they really
don't support the discipline they define.

Steven