List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] Re: Any progress on Quanta for KDE 4?
From:       Matthew Millar <mattmill30 () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2011-06-10 19:58:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

+1

Btw, if anyone wants quanta to run on KDE 4, gentoo devs seem to have
cracked it.

They do compile everything from source, and i'm not sure whether you need to
compile QT4 with QT3 support... i think you probably do.

But here's a guide which is really useful for gentoo users:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Quanta_plus_under_KDE_4

for none gentoo users, note that layman, can be considered as a way to add
additional repositories to their package manager, so similar to having a
command line application for adding repositories to /etc/apt/sources.list
(so KDE 3.5.10 packages are in an archived repository called kde-sunset).

Once i've worked out a last few bugs for Quanta on Gentoo (atm, its just
sftp support, which i'm hoping comes down to the version of openssl that's
currently installed is too up-to-date; and quanta doesn't generate a
shortcut into the KDE 4 menu), i'll try and write a guide on how to install
it from source onto a debian machine.

Note, my current installation doesn't include all the add-ons, like cvs,
etc. but they are mentioned in the document linked above, i've just not got
round to installing them, so i'm hoping i can achieve a fully loaded/working
quanta on KDE4 on gentoo, but we'll have to see; the document author
certainly says its do-able.

I don't think it'll be as straight forward as just finding all the quanta
and kde dependancies sources and compiling them, because i think QT3 support
will need to be compiled into QT4.. also gentoo kde-sunset sources install
applications into /usr/kde/3.5, instead of installing them into their
original locations, to avoid conflicts with current KDE software, so these
tweaks, and probably loads i haven't noticed, will also need to be
considered and documented.

For anyone who wants to try gentoo, best to start here with the handbook:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/
and then carry onto here for KDE 4
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/kde4-guide.xml

The guide is very helpful and userfriendly, but its worth noting that you
will be in the terminal for the first couple of days, so i'd recommend
setting up a side-by-side installation, otherwise you'll be without a
computer until you get to the stage of installing KDE.

Ubuntu users:
i'd recommend trying gentoo out on an old computer (it'll run on old
hardware really well, i'm using P4 2.8Ghz 1GB RAM), or a new hard-drive, at
the very least make sure you have researched fdisk before hand and
understand basic hard drive partitioning, because the handbook assumes you
want to install gentoo onto a computer as the only operating system.
Alternatively you can ask me for help, or even better, ask for help from the
gentoo channel, mentioned at the end of this email.

Note, it is several days work, more likely a week to get gentoo running,
because everything is compiled from source, so you have the time it takes to
work through the guide and learn about gentoo, but also the time it takes to
actually compile the software.

For while you're compiling (emerging) KDE4 and KDE3/Quanta, it'd be worth
considering setting the kdeenablefinal useflag, this thread (
http://nixforums.org/about27008.html) indicates that there are large
compilation time savings, however, if during future upgrades/compilations of
KDE you notice heavy resource usage, as indicated in the same thread, it'd
be worth unsetting the kdeenablefinal. useflags are a gentoo/portage specfic
feature, and are covered in the handbook above, and in more depth here:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1

I hope this is of interest/help to people :)

Feel free to ask me any questions, though i'm no expert, or ask for help at
the gentoo channel on freenode, here
http://webchat.freenode.net?channels=gentoo&uio=MT11bmRlZmluZWQb1

Thanks,

Matthew Millar