List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] Re: Any progress on Quanta for KDE 4?
From:       Billie Walsh <bilwalsh () swbell ! net>
Date:       2011-06-10 19:27:48

On 06/10/2011 02:15 PM, Milian Wolff wrote:
> John Culleton, 10.06.2011:
>> On Friday, June 10, 2011 09:26:14 am Milian Wolff wrote:
>>> Werner, 09.06.2011:

>>> Our website (kdevelop.org), the planet (planetkde.org) or maybe even this
>>> mailing list. I hope to remember to write a mail here once this is done.
>>>
>>> Bye
>>
>> With these plugins will Kdevelop have a user interface and a functionality
>> similar to Quanta++? Or will I have to learn a new package? If that is the
>> case I can always learn Amaya or Bluefish instead. I have both on my
>> machine.
>
> No, KDevelop with these plugins will not equal Quanta3. Instead they probably
> aim (for now?) at a more advanced user base, i.e. those who write mostly PHP
> and don't need some fancy GUI to click together some HTML stuff.
>
> If Amaya or Bluefish fit your needs better, try them instead.
>
>> Will the plugins be shipped with KDE?
>
> Just like KDevelop is (for now?) in extragear, so will these plugins be
> eventually. I'll release them together with the other plugins. Distro
> packagers should then create easy-to-install packages for you, just like with
> KDevelop and the PHP plugin.
>
>> It looks like the developers want to extend Kdevelop but many users want
>> Quanta++ back again. I Quanta++ has been abandoned as a project then say so
>> and I will look elsewhere.
>
> I'd rather say: There are no Quanta+ developers (sadly!) and we KDevelop devs
> try to do our best to improve what we have. Note that most of us don't have a
> need for Webdevelopment related things. Niko and me only invest time on a few
> things which we personally would use (i.e. advanced language support). Most of
> the old Quanta+ features don't appeal to us, hence we don't spend time on
> bringing them back to live.
>
> Anyhow, I suggest at least trying KDevelop for PHP development, before you
> look elsewhere.
>
> Bye

So, I guess the bottom line is that the best web authoring software
available for any OS is just going to die off due to a lack of developer
interest.

Bluefish is a pretty fair start on a good piece of software. Not even
close to Quanta, but a start.

Just got Amaya installed and haven't had time to play with it much so
can't really comment. It doesn't look as intuitive as Quanta at a first
glance.

KompoZer is another fair start but it has some pretty bad habits.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?