List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] Re: Any progress on Quanta for KDE 4?
From:       Milian Wolff <mail () milianw ! de>
Date:       2011-06-10 19:15:15

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

John Culleton, 10.06.2011:
> On Friday, June 10, 2011 09:26:14 am Milian Wolff wrote:
> > Werner, 09.06.2011:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > What is the best (de facto) place/channel to watch for news about those
> > > plugins being released?
> >
> > Our website (kdevelop.org), the planet (planetkde.org) or maybe even this
> > mailing list. I hope to remember to write a mail here once this is done.
> >
> > Bye
>
> With these plugins will Kdevelop have a user interface and a functionality
> similar to Quanta++? Or will I have to learn a new package? If that is the
> case I can always learn Amaya or Bluefish instead. I have both on my
> machine.

No, KDevelop with these plugins will not equal Quanta3. Instead they probably
aim (for now?) at a more advanced user base, i.e. those who write mostly PHP
and don't need some fancy GUI to click together some HTML stuff.

If Amaya or Bluefish fit your needs better, try them instead.

> Will the plugins be shipped with KDE?

Just like KDevelop is (for now?) in extragear, so will these plugins be
eventually. I'll release them together with the other plugins. Distro
packagers should then create easy-to-install packages for you, just like with
KDevelop and the PHP plugin.

> It looks like the developers want to extend Kdevelop but many users want
> Quanta++ back again. I Quanta++ has been abandoned as a project then say so
> and I will look elsewhere.

I'd rather say: There are no Quanta+ developers (sadly!) and we KDevelop devs
try to do our best to improve what we have. Note that most of us don't have a
need for Webdevelopment related things. Niko and me only invest time on a few
things which we personally would use (i.e. advanced language support). Most of
the old Quanta+ features don't appeal to us, hence we don't spend time on
bringing them back to live.

Anyhow, I suggest at least trying KDevelop for PHP development, before you
look elsewhere.

Bye
--
Milian Wolff