List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Installing/Upgrading Version 3.5
From:       Maurice Fonk <m.j.fonk () student ! ru ! nl>
Date:       2005-12-20 12:35:45

On Tuesday 20 December 2005 12:30, Eric Laffoon wrote:
> On Monday 19 December 2005 7:35 pm, Jens Herden wrote:
> > On Tuesday 20 December 2005 10:26, Dick Barmann wrote:
> > > Quanta version 3.5.0 is a tar.bz2 file. Being new to Linux I would like
> > > to know if this can be installed as an upgrade to the version 3.4.0
> > > that I have i kubuntu. I have KDE 3.4.3 but do not know how to extract
> > > or install the bz2 file. Thanks.
> >
> > Being new to Linux usually triggers this reply:
> >
> > Do not compile yourself but search for binary packages from your
> > distribution.
> >
> > AFAIK packages for Kubuntu to upgrade to KDE 3.5 are available. I think
> > you have to configure your package manager to look in another repository
> > and then it is straight forward. I am not using Kubuntu so I can not tell
> > you more.
> >
> > Jens
>
> Like Jens said... If you really want the answer for how to do geeky things
> like compiling go to http://tldp.org and you will find a virtual paradise
> of geek information. It's not so much a difficult thing as a learning
> experience about new ways to do things. It may be useful at some time, but
> getting the packages already built is by far the easiest solution.

First of all, I'd like to say hi, this is my first reply to this mailinglist.
My name is Maurice Fonk, I'm a freelance webdesigner from holland, and have
been using Quanta for a while now.

As a reply to Dick and Jens, I'm a Kubuntu user. Information about installing
KDE 3.5 (and Quanta 3.5) can be found at:
http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-35.php All that has to be done is add a
line to the sources list. Upgrading is very interesting, as KDE 3.5 offers
some great speed improvements.

MF