List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: [users] Re: modularized openoffice.org
From:       "Michael S. Mikowski" <z_mikowski () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-02-03 21:46:00

Agreed, Anthony.

OO is great, and I use it daily.  I'm very pleased with it.  This plugins
stuff sound like a great way to extend its appeal.  Plugins could be traded
around the internet.  Here are some thoughts:

Plugins could break down into two categories:

- typical
- embedded object

Typical plugins could create output FULLY READABLE BY ALL OO installations.
Concepts for typical plugins include (as listed before by others):

Writer:
- APA formatting  - English Grammer - Pig latin converter
- Foot notes, headers - Advanced templates - Source Code Syntax checkers
- vi editor module :) - ASCII art module - Filters? (e.g. pdf?)
- Email client - Groupware/CMS plugin (saw that coming, didn't you?)

Draw
- Visio-style charting controls -Enhanced vector graphics -3D vector graphics
- 2D precision drafting module

Impress
- Custom templates based on content

Embeded Object plugins would require those viewing the document to have the
same plugin to get the same effect; however, it would not be required (e.g. a
blank window could be shown instead).  It might even be possible to arrange
the API so that plugins for IE/Netscape could be used.  Concepts include:

- Flash plugins for Impress slide shows
- Advanced audio, including mp3 playback for background music in impress
- Adobe Acrobat embedding
- Real Player

... musing ...

-- Mike