List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: [users] Re: modularized openoffice.org
From:       "Kelvin" <demo () onlineconnections ! com ! au>
Date:       2003-02-03 22:15:00

Hi John,

In general I would probably have to confirm what you say.  Microsoft appear
to put a lot of effort into the initial user experience.

OpenOffice is slower to start and is slower to save files.

I accept these limitations as part of the package.  Overall I am VERY happy
with OpenOffice.  If I was paying for it however, I don't know how happy I
would be then.

To me the biggest change is in my attitude.  When a Microsoft application
fails and asks me to click on the Send button so they can improve their
software, I cancel it.  When OpenOffice fails I put in hours trying to work
out what is wrong to provide feedback.

I do this because I am frustrated with commercial applications which are
crippled to force me to buy additional software.  Eg Access by itself does
not support jpg images so I have to purchase Word and so do my users, even
though I have purchased the runtime system.  With Open Source I believe if
the developers can do something and have the resources, they will.  No lock
in motives.

Thanks also for confirming your perceptions of the product.  This helps me
confirm what I see too.

Kelvin