List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: [users] Templates
From:       Russ Palmeri <rpalmeri () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2002-05-30 2:30:42

Tony.

Thanks for the reply....

> Looks as if it might be a setup and permission problem to me.
>
> Normally you'd install a multi user version of OOo as root (especially
> with those weird paths you've got, which indicate another b-minded rpm
> install). Then you's run a user set up and afterwards OOo as that user.
> In which case the templates, also the default templates, would be in the
> user's home directory. I'd be curious as to what that was, with your rpm
> install; hopefully not the same as Mandrake's.
OO was installed by Red-Carpet, the Ximian Gnome installer. I am root,
user, and everything else here as I am a single desktop user!! :-)
The home directory for OO is /home/russ/.openoffice1.0

> You don't have any business as a user to be changing stuff in /usr/lib.
> You're not allowed to go there and change things. Look around in the
> user's home directory, even though that user might be root (yuk).
what is a "b-minded rpm install"?

> You don't have any business as a user to be changing stuff in /usr/lib.
> You're not allowed to go there and change things. Look around in the
> user's home directory, even though that user might be root (yuk).
this I don't understand at all. Are the linux cops going to come and
arrest me for breaking and entering??  :-)

I don't run linux as root, even as a newbie I know better than that...
lke the man said...
"Proper Unix hygiene dictates that you should log in as yourself, and su
to root as necessary. People who spend their day logged in as root are
just begging for disaster."

Jamie Zawinski
(creator of xscreensaver)

Thanks,