List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: [discuss] OOo Lite
From:       Becca <becca () fluffybunnies ! com>
Date:       2003-10-23 17:34:35

Well, unfortunately, anything webbased won't suit the needs I was more
aiming to get with this.. I was kind of aiming for the same thing as
open office -- with a smaller download size, that can be stuffed onto a
laptop or other computer where you want to be able to use open office
without having to load all of the features, etc, and being able to take
it anywhere with you.

Having the sxw format in other programs would be great, but I don't like
programs like AbiWord, for example. AbiWord has too many features for
what I would be wanting to do with it, basically.

This isn't so much as reinventing the wheel then it is stripping the
race car down to a street car.

It would not require rewriting the base code. It would use the same base
code as OOo does right now, but it would simply strip out the features
like spreadsheets, spell check,  the bibliography database, stylists,
and all of those other buttons that sometimes just get in the way of
just writing.

OOo Lite wouldn't just be there to convert files, though it would be
extremely useful to do so. It would be there when you don't want to deal
with all of the extras, but you want the same feel and the same
reliability of the OOo project.

It would be there when linux or Mac users need to read a pesky .doc and
they don't want to use the full fledged suite to read it.

It is basically turning Word into Word Pad, except Open Office into Open
Office Lite. As an ex-windows user, I used to use Word Pad when I just
didn't want to deal with all of the features, and Word when I wanted to
spell check, do advanced formatting and the likes.

Take Kazaa and Kazaa Lite, for example (Albiet it is a bad one.) These
two programs do the exact same thing, except some things have been
stripped out/removed from the one. People use either one or the other
dependant on their needs.

OOo and OOo Lite would be the same thing -- dependant on needs so it
*can* cater to others.

Granted, it would not be released as often as other OOo candidates,
basically one Lite version per RC/Finished version, but I think it could
be done.

Example: Taking 1.0, and making a Lite version of the most stable
version of that, taking 1.1 and making one Lite version, etc.

As the code is written in  a way where chunks could be isolated and
removed with ease, a few dedicated people could handle the job if they
worked together well.

I personally think it would benefit the community because of the fact
that it worked with MS. A lot of people like and use Word Pad because of
the fact it is more stable than Word and quicker because a lot of the
features with the buds have been cut out. (And I'm not saying that OOo
is anywhere near as buggy as M$.)

Becca