List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: [discuss] HTML
From:       Matt Needles <needlesm () bellsouth ! net>
Date:       2003-10-23 17:41:23

Steve Holstein @ InterPrep.com wrote:

> Your list is not doing what mine were, but it is doing something
> annoying, which I've recreated at http://interprep.com/test.html.
>
> My second list on the above page has the <P> tag on each list item,
> which double-spaces everything on the list. On the FIRST list on the
> above page I manually removed the <P> tags.
>
> Why are <P> tags in there? I want a nice, single-spaced list.
>
> Steve

The <P> tags are not the culprit, the paragraph style you use in the
lists is the problem.  You need to redefine your paragraph style while
in HTML Editor so that it has no space after or before the paragraph,
and your HTML will follow suit. by generating LI items like this:
    <LI><P STYLE="margin-bottom: 0in">Bulleted Item</P>

Otherwise, you can do this:
You can then simplify the HTML by deleting the inline style tags and
putting a <STYLE> block in your <HEAD> block with a CSS class definition
for the default P style.

e.g.:
    <STYLE TYPE="text/css">
      <!--
        P { margin-bottom: 0pt }
      -->
       </STYLE>
.
.
.
<UL>
    <LI><P>Bullet Text
    <LI><P>Bullet Text
    <LI><P>Bullet Text
</UL>

This will function exactly like you expect it to.

Matt Needles
OpenOffice.org Instructor