List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: [discuss] HTML
From:       Matt Needles <needlesm () bellsouth ! net>
Date:       2003-10-22 21:58:51

Steve Holstein @ InterPrep.com wrote:

> Thanks. One more question. I'm trying to move away from Word for
> creating some daily html documents; the version I have doesn't do
> well. At first it appeared OOo would act just like a word processor
> while in html 'mode' but I see that on bulleted lists it's throwing an
> extra space in before and after the list. I noticed this when I viewed
> my demo html document in a browser.
>
> What I want to see is what we all see in a list within a document:
>

> TITLE OF LIST
>
> - List item
> - List item
> - List item
>
> TITLE OF NEXT ITEM
>

> What I see in my browser after saving an html in OOo is:
>

> TITLE OF LIST
>

> - List item
> - List item
> - List item
>

> TITLE OF NEXT ITEM
>

> Any reason why OOo is tossing in an extra line space. When I view the
> raw HTML I see an extra <BR> thrown in for no reason.
>
> ???
>
> Steve

Just created an HTML test from new document, typed in a title, formatted
to H1;
Clicked the Bulleting button, typed in "Bulleted Item 1" <ENTER>
Bulleted Item 2 <Enter>
Bulleted Item 3 <Enter>
<Enter> (turns off bulleting)
Typed another Title, formatted to H1

Saved document, switched to HTML source view, here's what I get:
<HTML>
<HEAD>
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="CONTENT-TYPE" CONTENT="text/html;
charset=windows-1252">
    <TITLE></TITLE>
    <META NAME="GENERATOR" CONTENT="OpenOffice.org 1.1.0  (Win32)">
    <META NAME="AUTHOR" CONTENT="Matt Needles">
    <META NAME="CREATED" CONTENT="20031022;17523117">
    <META NAME="CHANGEDBY" CONTENT="Matt Needles">
    <META NAME="CHANGED" CONTENT="20031022;17535570">
</HEAD>
<BODY LANG="en-US" DIR="LTR">
<H1>Title of List</H1>
<UL>
    <LI><P>Bulleted Item</P>
    <LI><P>Bulleted Item</P>
    <LI><P>Bulleted Item</P>
</UL>
<H1>Title of Next List</H1>
</BODY>
</HTML>

This has no extra blank lines thrown in.  I am led to ask, which version
of OOo are you using?  Did I misunderstand you and you are creating the
document in Writer and exporting it to HTML?  If that's so, perhaps
there is a problem in the HTML export filter.  Please enlighten me/us.

Matt Needles
OpenOffice.org Instructor