List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: Creating update tarballs
From:       Gerardo Santana Gomez Garrido <santana () openbsd ! org ! mx>
Date:       2002-08-22 1:52:42

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 06:01:07PM -0700, tedu wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Gerardo Santana Gomez Garrido wrote:
>
> > "Note that programs that are linked statically will not pick up the
> > change unless they are rebuilt.  This includes the contents of /bin
> > and /sbin."
> >
> > I've always wondered why inexact information is given in these cases.
>
> You want a list of every static program on the system included with the
> patch?  There are too many.  It varies by architecture.  Some of them
> don't need rebuilding.  Nobody has time to go and pick them out one by one
> into a nicely sorted list.  Even if a list were made, it's not going to be
> accurate for many installations, notably mine.

The comment is inexact. If it leads people to get vulnerable binaries in
their systems, it is dangerous too.

If a list of programs is not feasible, a reference to the procedure for
building this list is desirable. It's just that I don't think inexact
information fits in the OpenBSD style.

> --
> Mediocrity is a sin.

so is to provide inexact information, IMO.

--
Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido
http://www.openbsd.org.mx/~santana/