List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: Creating update tarballs
From:       Ben Goren <ben () trumpetpower ! com>
Date:       2002-08-22 2:37:46

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 05:59:13PM -0400, Rod Dorman wrote:

> Is this an acceptable procedure  for updating slower machines or
> is there something I'm missing?

My preferred method is to do a  make release on a fast machine (or
let it  go overnight or  whatever) to get  a set of  tarballs, and
then use those tarballs to update the slow machines. It's actually
trivial at that point to make  a bootable CD that's not completely
unlike  the official  ones, or  you could  just untar  the desired
tarballs over the existing system.

I'll do this even if there's just one file to patch. It might take
more time by the clock and burn more CPU cycles, but it takes less
of my  time and brainpower  to figure everything out. That,  and I
sleep better  at night because I  don't have to worry  if I missed
something. Just be sure to scan the advisory for ``etc''....

Cheers,

b&

--
Ben Goren