List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    i think i did a bad thing ... root passwd
From:       Rick Barter <rvb01 () attbi ! nospam ! com>
Date:       2002-08-22 2:30:47

Hey, everyone.  I did a bad thing a few days ago.  I changed the root
password on my OpenBSD 3.0 box and forgot what I changed it to.  No
big deal I thought.  I'll just boot into single user mode and change
it back.

So, I type -s at the BOOT> prompt and everything seems cool.  Well I
go to change the passwd and some file systems weren't mounted.  I
forgot about this part.  So I mounted a few (/usr, /bin, etc.).

I change the password and voila! everyting's peachy, right?  Don't
answer yet...

So then I reboot, log into my regular user account and the world is in
harmony.  Now I start rebuilding my Windows 2000 box.  Well, to
condense this story, as I'm working, the power goes out and shuts down
my Win2k box and my OpenBSD box.  I leave the OpenBSD box and start my
rebuild all over again on my Win2k machine.  Please bear with me.

Tonight, I power up my OpenBSD machine and I can't su to root.  I get
the following output:

su: cannot stat /usr/libexec/auth/login_krb4-or-pwd: Permission Denied
su: /usr/libexec/auth/login_krb4-or-pwd: Path Not Secure
Invalid Script: /usr/libexec/auth/login_krb4-or-pwd
Sorry

Can anyone help me out?  What the heck did I do wrong and how, if at
all, can I fix it?

Thanks,

rvb

--
 ** remove "nospam." from the reply-to address to reach me via email **

 Do all your work as if you had a thousand years
 to live, and as you would if you knew you must
 die tomorrow. -Shaker Saying