List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: LyX Outliner and Corkboard - Feature Proposal
From:       Guenter Milde <milde () users ! berlios ! de>
Date:       2009-03-07 21:23:48

On 2009-03-07, rgheck wrote:
> José Matos wrote:
>> On Friday 06 March 2009 13:57:34 Guenter Milde wrote:

>> This would be moot if the paragraph had some kind of special markup, like:

>> \begin{standard}
>> \end{standard}

>> or even

>> \standard{...} if you prefer.

Thinking about it, I found that LaTeX already has this.
You can write a three-paragraph document as:

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
\section{heading}
\par{first paragraph}\par{second paragraph}\par{a last
long paragraph}
\end{document}

The empty line is just an alias for improved readability.
(And I would like LyX to continue using it in LaTeX output.)

>> That would allow to leave space for new declarations outside of
>> paragraphs, or for placing a float without affecting near paragraphs.

> I think this is all the more true of \section, which is really an
> environment, in the sense that it has a defined beginning AND END.

Sorry, I cannot follow here: using the term environment for an object
that cannot be written in \begin{section} ... \end{section} form is
misleading. And every object (be it inline or box object) has a defined
beginning and end. Only command switches (like \bfseries or \appendix)
have no end.

> I can well imagine a system under which sections, and other document
> divisions, were insets, and....

Yes, it is feasible to use insets for all objects. But I am not sure
wheter it is wise.

Günter