List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Possible problem with SF? (Was: Interest in using git with lyx
From:       Christian_Ridderström <christian.ridderstrom () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-03-07 20:17:41

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009, Christian Ridderström wrote:

> No, not if we migrate to any service. If we migrate to a server which is
> called www.lyx.org and can place some directories where we want them,
> migration is straight forward.

Lars, do you know how to set up a vhost on a SF server? I'm thinking it's
something we should test pretty soon. According to this page

 	http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/sitedocs/wiki/Custom%20VHOSTs

we'll need:

1. A registered domain, which we have I assume. Maybe we need a temporary
    one just for testing, so that we don't break www.lyx.org? Ideally we
    would be able to redirect just something like www.test.lyx.org and
    wiki.test.lyx.org to SF.

2. Configure the DNS, see the web page for details.

3. Configure VHOSTs at SF.

Guess you need administrator access at SF for #3, and I don't know
anything about how to do #1 or #2. Hmm... unless something like dyndns.org
can be used in step #1.

As for the web page, after a few hours of troubleshooting, Bo and I have
made progress on being able to run the web site from SF. The good thing is
that in theory we'll be able to run and test the web site at SF in
parallel. Since it's all in SVN, we can easily keep the sites synchronized
and make the switch at our leisure. There will of course be various
issues, most of them related to hard coded links to www.lyx.org.

The bad thing is that in order to do the above, we would have to switch to
using two SVN projects just for the web site, one to store the actual wiki
pages, and another for all the other files. This is caused by a
requirement at SF to keep all files that the web server can write to in a
separate directory structure (it's a directory called 'persistent').

Another bad thing might be that php-code from other projects could
access data in 'persistent/', possibly even write to it...

Finally, I sometimes found the web site at SF a bit slow, but maybe I'm
imagining things.

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderström				Mobile: +46-70 687 39 44