List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: LyX Outliner and Corkboard - Feature Proposal
From:       rgheck <rgheck () bobjweil ! com>
Date:       2009-03-07 1:44:34

José Matos wrote:
> On Friday 06 March 2009 13:57:34 Guenter Milde wrote:
>
>> But it really is:
>>
>>  like a footnote, the float definition can be inside a
>>  paragraph while the output is moved to a different place by the tex
>>  engine.
>>
>> You can even see the difference:
>>
>> * when you put the float inset into its own paragraph, the following
>>   text is indented (or separated by vspace), as it starts a new paragraph.
>>

> I would argue that this is a limitation/bug of latex. Really.
>
> This would be moot if the paragraph had some kind of special markup, like:
>
> \begin{standard}
> \end{standard}
>
> or even
>
> \standard{...} if you prefer.
>
> That would allow to leave space for new declarations outside of paragraphs, or
> for placing a float without affecting near paragraphs.

I think this is all the more true of \section, which is really an
environment, in the sense that it has a defined beginning AND END. I can
well imagine a system under which sections, and other document
divisions, were insets, and....

>> OTOH, lists (like itemize) are by default nested inside surrounding
>> paragraph (in the LaTeX source) while separate paragraphs in LyX.
>> You need to insert a "--- Separator ---" or another empty
>> paragraph to have the first paragraph after a list indented.

the same is of course true of lists. Think of how this ought to be done
in XML. (Yes, I know, <h1>. But I've got the same problem with <h1>.)

rh