List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: LyX Outliner and Corkboard - Feature Proposal
From:       Guenter Milde <milde () users ! berlios ! de>
Date:       2009-03-06 21:08:41

On 2009-03-06, José Matos wrote:
> On Friday 06 March 2009 13:57:34 Guenter Milde wrote:

>>  like a footnote, the float definition can be inside a
>>  paragraph while the output is moved to a different place by the tex
>>  engine.

>> You can even see the difference:

>> * when you put the float inset into its own paragraph, the following
>>   text is indented (or separated by vspace), as it starts a new paragraph.

> I would argue that this is a limitation/bug of latex. Really.

I don't see why this should be a bug/limitation.

> This would be moot if the paragraph had some kind of special markup, like:

> \begin{standard}
> \end{standard}

Nothing prevents you to define::

Style Standard
  LatexType             Environment
  LatexName             standard
  Preamble
    \newenvironment{standard}{}{}
  EndPreamble
End

in order to get this behaviour. But I don't see any gain from this, as
the problem is rather that

* pressing RETURN in LyX sometimes starts a new paragraph and sometimes
  not.

* the editor window does not always give a clear feedback when/where LyX
  will insert a blank line in the LaTeX source.

> That would allow to leave space for new declarations outside of
> paragraphs, or for placing a float without affecting near paragraphs.

Well, both float 1 and float 2 in the following example do not affect
near paragraphs:

  text 1
  \begin{float} float 1 \end{float}
  text 2

  \begin{float} float 2 \end{float}

  text 3

Possible problems in LyX are:

* with open insets, it might be hard to spot the difference in LyX

* with closed insets, the user might want to move the inset to a "nice"
  location (centered on its own line, say) and by this unknowingly breaks
  the containing paragraph.

Günter