List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: A bit of everything
From:       Tim Hutt <tdh29 () cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2006-10-19 16:43:15

On Oct 18 2006, velle@velle.dk wrote:

> For the FAQ: * In what way does Kate depend on KDE, can I run Kate in
> Gnome for example? (explain for KWrite and KatePart as well)

You can run it in gnome, but it will just start KDE in the background
(well, the bits of KDE that it needs anyway).

> * What happened to project support, please explain what project support
> was/is.

I didn't really follow this, but in the past kate had 'Projects'. Basically
sessions - you can save the list of open files as a project (kind of like
playlists for music). At some point it was removed, but then everyone said
"Oi! I was using that!", so now (as of 3.5.4 or something) it has been
readded.

> * Kate seems like a natural successor to KWrite, so why is KWrite being
> maintained?

I think because it is slightly simpler.

> * How widespread is the use of Kate, KWrite and KatePart, and
> what are the future ambitions?

You can think of KatePart (the 'Embedded Advanced Text Editor') as
everything inside the white editing area. Everything else (the toolbars,
menus, etc) are part of the application that uses katepart.

KatePart is used in (these are just the ones I know): KDevelop, Kate,
KWrite, Kile, Quata Plus (I think), and possibly KMail.

The only alternative I know is VimPart (as I think it is called). Never
used it though.

Hopefully that's right - someone correct me if I'm wrong!