List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: A bit of everything
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mwoehlke () tibco ! com>
Date:       2006-10-19 18:28:56

Tim Hutt wrote:
> On Oct 18 2006, velle@velle.dk wrote:
>> * Kate seems like a natural successor to KWrite, so why is KWrite being
>> maintained?
>
> I think because it is slightly simpler.

I'm not sure I would have said only "slightly". :-)

KWrite is a TextEditor part front-end (it also lets you use vim or
"Qt-based editor" as the actual editor - or, presumably, any TextEditor
part that might be created in the future). Basically it is just a
container for a TextEditor part, so it is very simple. To make an
analogy to the Windows world, Kate (the app, not the part) is like
wordpad, KWrite is like notepad. Notepad is still around for the same
reason, it is a very lean, clean, simple (very KISS) program that gets
the job done, especially where added features can create clutter, get in
the way, or in some cases even remove "features".

>> * How widespread is the use of Kate, KWrite and KatePart, and
>> what are the future ambitions?
>
> You can think of KatePart (the 'Embedded Advanced Text Editor') as
> everything inside the white editing area. Everything else (the toolbars,
> menus, etc) are part of the application that uses katepart.

Um, actually some of the menus belong to katepart as well, and I think
katepart is even capable of supplying toolbars. Of course, an
application using katepart can choose to include these or not, and most
will add their own menus and toolbars in addition to what katepart provides.

White? Mine is blue... ;-)

--
Matthew
"Try to bring it back in one piece this time." -- Q (MI6)