List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    A bit of everything
From:       <velle () velle ! dk>
Date:       2006-10-18 12:50:54

Hi there

I have a little feedback for your texteditors, Kate and KWrite. I hope you welcome \
this critique.

In general:
* Make a simple version history easily accessible, so when Im a user of Kate 2.4.1, I \
know if I have the newest version, if this version is stable, if the more recent \
version is stable so I ought to upgrade, what is the difference between the versions, \
                which bugs are reported for each version, etc.
* About KatePart, could you please give an example of an application where KatePart \
could be chosen as an editor, and for the application give an example of an \
alternative editor (or thing!) that could be used. Maybe with two different screen \
shots! How much is taken care of by the application and how much by KatePart? \
Keyboard shorcuts for example? Is Kwrite and Kate actually using KatePart?

For the FAQ:
* In what way does Kate depend on KDE, can I run Kate in Gnome for example? (explain \
                for KWrite and KatePart as well)
* In What Happened to project support, please explain what project support was/is.
* Kate seems like a natural successor to KWrite, so why is KWrite being maintained?
* How widespread is the use of Kate, KWrite and KatePart, and what are the future \
ambitions?

Bugs:
Im using Ubuntu 5.10 (Breezy Badger), Gnome 2.12.1, Kate 2.4.1, KWrite 4.4.
* When launching the Bug Report Wizard, I get "Could not find kfmclient".
* When in Configure Kate, the navigator in the left side, a tree structured one, is \
not working properly without using the mouse. E.g. normally pressing the left arrow \
on the keyboard would move the cursor one level up the tree, but here nothing \
happens. It is not even possible to mark the branches, only the leaves, using the \
                mouse. Try it yourself, or if you want a more detailed description, \
                ask me for one.
* When using both KWrite and Kate in Gnome, launching it from bash, it regularly \
prints stuff like "ASSERT: "m_currentContainer==container" in \
/build/buildd/kdebase-3.4.3/./kate/app/kateviewmanager.cpp (196)" kio (KMimeType): \
WARNING: KServiceType::offers : servicetype ThumbCreator not found", but not just \
this one, many different kinds of warnings and errors. Is it a bug? What does it \
mean?

Spelling errors:
* http://kate-editor.org/support, "For achieves, go here". It should be "archives".

Sincerely