List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Getting Involved
From:       "David Nadlinger" <david.nadlinger () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-11-05 17:46:19

Hello Lubos,

thanks for the quick yet comprehensive answer.

> In short, you should know C++, learn Qt (e.g. do the Qt tutorial) and then
> you should be able to start working on KDE.

Don't worry, I have quite a bit of experience in C++ and have also
worked on Qt code from time to time. I just wanted to say that I have
not fully grasped the architecture of KDE, hence being unsure what
KWin actually depends on (and thus if it's reasonably safe to use KWin
from SVN Head and the rest from the latest release).

Anyway, I'm positive that I will manage to compile a full build from
SVN soon. It's just that I am on a somewhat tight schedule at the
moment and couldn't really investigate the problem yet. Also, I'm not
quite sure how this can happen, given the fact that everything was
freshly compiled from the same headers...

> Information specific to KWin is at http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KWin ,
> specifically the HACKING file has a collection of useful tips and
> information.

Ah, thanks for the pointer. Of course, I have already read the HACKING
file, but I must have missed the Wiki page somehow.

>  If you will have any KWin-specific questions, read the docs there are, see
> the source code or ask here. After you've made some changes you'd like to see
> included, create a patch and send it here.

I will, undoubtedly. If everything works out, you can expect one patch
or two during the next weeks – I can't promise you anything though ;)

>  PS: Anything special that makes you think KWin is not on par with Compiz?

No, not really. It's mostly all those little details that I have come
to like while using Compiz (I was using it almost since the first
public release).
Also, for reasons I don't know, KWin is sometimes _really_ choppy here
on my notebook (8600M GT; running the latest nVidia drivers). I guess
I'll try to find the reasons for that once I got the SVN build
working.

> [*] Or simply people not understanding things, like I noticed yesterday
> somebody complaining that KWin painted only 70FPS, which was most probably
> because their monitor had 70Hz refresh rate.

Ah, this reminds me of the days when I started 3d programming. My code
only drew a spinning cube and I was like, "What the heck, why am I
only getting 80 fps on this?!" ;)