List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Getting Involved
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2008-11-05 20:13:30

On Wednesday 05 of November 2008, David Nadlinger wrote:
> Hello Lubos,
>
> thanks for the quick yet comprehensive answer.
>
> > In short, you should know C++, learn Qt (e.g. do the Qt tutorial) and
> > then you should be able to start working on KDE.
>
> Don't worry, I have quite a bit of experience in C++ and have also
> worked on Qt code from time to time. I just wanted to say that I have
> not fully grasped the architecture of KDE, hence being unsure what
> KWin actually depends on

 Then it should basically just boil down to making sure you use the KDE
functionality if there is one (KConfig instead of QSettings, KDialog instead
of QDialog, Solid instead of whatever home-brewn, etc.). KWin however doesn't
use most of "advanced" KDE technologies like KParts, KIO etc, only the more
basic parts.

> >  PS: Anything special that makes you think KWin is not on par with
> > Compiz?
>
> No, not really. It's mostly all those little details that I have come
> to like while using Compiz (I was using it almost since the first
> public release).
> Also, for reasons I don't know, KWin is sometimes _really_ choppy here
> on my notebook (8600M GT; running the latest nVidia drivers). I guess
> I'll try to find the reasons for that once I got the SVN build
> working.

 I occassionally get this too, although I'm not sure if it's not restricted
only to older cards and hence older drivers (and drivers is what I suspect
anyway). If it doesn't happen with Compiz, it may be that there is a problem
in KWin, although if the "problem" is just doing things differently somewhere
then this may be a wild goose chase :-/.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer