List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    Re: To QString or to QStringList?
From:       Hamish Rodda <rodda () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-10-15 11:10:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 15 October 2005 02:37, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> On Friday 14 October 2005 17:07, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> > I'm told that many text editors work with large buffers which include the
> > newline characters inline, but that's not the way kate works and i doubt
> > we'd be changing it.  Perhaps if another editor was to implement the
> > ktexteditor interface, it would be more efficient for them to go with the
> > plain QString version...
>
> I have 2 problems with stringlists:
>  - what if the strings inside them contain linebreaks? how to handle this?

A few options:
* we remove them (probably my preferred option)
* we add a second line (ie. mixed QStringLists and '\n')
* we make the behaviour undefined

>  - is that really convenient for normal usage? if you insert a blob of
> text, atm it's easy (at least of the splitting works), later, each client
> app needs to split the lines itself, don't think that makes life much
> easier for app devs

QString blob = getBlob();
setText(blob.split('\n'));

but still, I think keeping at least the setText(QString) function makes sense
- for large strings which haven't already been split, it's faster.

Perhaps we should provide both?

I've committed what I've done (because I had lots more changes as well), so
take a look... easy to remove if we decide against it.

Cheers,
Hamish.