List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    Navigating between docks using the keyboard
From:       Daniel Lohmann <dl () cs ! fau ! de>
Date:       2005-11-14 17:25:10

Hi,

I am relatively new to KDE and Linux. so forgive me if I am overseeing
something obvious...

 From Windows, I am used to be able to do everything with the keyboard -
leaving the mouse merrily alone on its pad. With KDE, however, I have
still not been able to figure out the keyboard shortcuts for some parts
of the GUI:

1) I really do like the dock interface of kate and konqueror, especially
the build-in terminal is just great. However, how can I switch the
keyboard focus from the main client area (the editor) to the terminal
dock, enter some command there, and afterwards move it back to the
editor component without touching the mouse? Or more generally asked:
Does any keyboard shortcut exist use to move the focus from one dock to
another one?
(I already figured out how to switch the docks on and off, however
switching a dock off is a somwhat strict method to get the focus from it...)

2) If more than one tool share a dock (such as "Terminal" and "Find in
Files" both reside in the bottom dock) how to switch from one tool to
the next one? Kate aranges a row of buttons below the dock, but I have
not been able to figure out how to control them with the keyboard.

I have read through the "Konfigure Shortcuts" dialog several times, but
did not find anything that seems related. But maybe that is just "basic
KDE knowledge" I have not come accross so far...

Any pointer?

Thanks!

Daniel