List:       konq-e
Subject:    Re: Project: Konqueror/Embedded for Qtopia
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () cirulla ! net>
Date:       2006-01-17 18:03:28

On Tuesday 17 January 2006 13:36, Eva Brucherseifer wrote:
> Hi Luciano,

> > > From next week on, it's fine with me if you want to work on the
> > > trunk. I'll prepare a snapshot during the weekend; after that, it's
> > > ok if the repository gets a bit unstable. Plus, many points of your
> > > todo will be generally useful.
> >
> > Ok. If we work on the same code base the chance that stuff will be
> > available later on is much bigger. You probably know how projects are -
> > time is short and motivation for extra work like merging things back
> > decreases.
> >
> > So if it is doable for us to work on one code basis (kdenox), it
> > probably gives the best results. Regarding kdelibs I'd stay with 3.5
> > for now and maybe not change too much stuff over there. But maybe we
> > can discuss this later once we have concrete things.
>
> we've discussed this in our team and we are not so sure anymore, this
> would work at all. For the Qt4 port you'll probably switch to kdelibs
> from trunk, which is already different from current kdelibs 3.5. Also Qt4
> is very different from Qt3 and we already have problems to keep Qt3 and
> Qt2 code together. Trying to support 3 Qt versions would very likely
> result in patch hell and we would not come to a working solution.
>
> Therefore I'd like to suggest the following:
> - we create a 3.5 branch for kdenox, which moves along the kdelibs 3.5
> branch. - you can then work on kdenox trunk to work with kdelibs trunk
> - we will very likely create a work branch of kdenox which works without
> copying and patching kdelibs file (with local copies), for easier
> synchronisation in our team.
>
> Also we'd like to move on with this already this week, as our schedule is
> tight (deadline is end of march).
>
> Is that ok for you?

It's ok for me, but I think I'll not start really on KDE4 porting for a
while yet. In this case, I can make my regular snapshots fron the head,
until things get stable again, or until I begin Qt4 porting work again on
head. But since your project schedule is so tight, we'll have KDE3.5
snapshots too, for the upcoming dot releases, if they are needed.

Luciano

--
Luciano Montanaro //
              \\ //