List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    [RFC] library for kword import filters
From:       Frank Dekervel <Frank.dekervel () student ! kuleuven ! ac ! Be>
Date:       2001-09-08 13:43:45

Hello,

Since the idea (and code) for such a lib for export filters was okay,
i tought it was maybe a cool thing to do the same for kword import filters.
I am toying a bit with the html filter now, and i created a KWDWriter object
which could be a good start. Its pretty filter independent (you can grab it at
http://www.student.kuleuven.ac.be/~m9823990/html2kwd.tbz2, its for
kde2/koffice 1.1 since i'll wait a bit with updating to head) and it does
the format/table/frameset/inlining... bookkeeping , while being as simple to
use as possible.
I'd like to make it available (after some cleanups and extra features) for
other filters to use too, but
- do we really need such a lib/class ? most filters are being developed
independently, and already have kword bookkeeping code now.
- if we need one, would it be better to keep the interface simple (like now)
and rather functional (its an object now, but with a bunch of functions like
createInline(QDomElement paragraph, ...) so its rather functional instead of
OO), or should i better rewrite it in 'correct' OO (like
paragraph.createInline(inline) instead of
KWDWriter->addInline(paragraph,inline)) ... if i will be the only user of the
kwdwriter class, i'd rather keep it simple.

And additionally, it would be really helpfull if someone updated the kword
dtd to contain commentary for the following things so i'd know how to support
them...

  // ## Missing: lWidth, rWidth, tWidth, bWidth  (pt)
  //    lRed, lGreen, lBlue
  //    rRed, rGreen, rBlue
  //    tRed, tGreen, tBlue
  //    bRed, bGreen, bBlue
  //    lStyle, rStyle, tStyle, bStyle
  //    bkRed, bkGreen, bkBlue
  //    bleftpt, brightpt, btoppt, bbottompt

greetings,
Frank