List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] library for kword import filters
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-09-10 10:32:26

On Samedi 8 Septembre 2001 15:43, Frank Dekervel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Since the idea (and code) for such a lib for export filters was okay,
> i tought it was maybe a cool thing to do the same for kword import filters.
> I am toying a bit with the html filter now, and i created a KWDWriter object
> which could be a good start. Its pretty filter independent (you can grab it at
> http://www.student.kuleuven.ac.be/~m9823990/html2kwd.tbz2, its for
> kde2/koffice 1.1 since i'll wait a bit with updating to head) and it does
> the format/table/frameset/inlining... bookkeeping , while being as simple to
> use as possible.

Sounds good.

> I'd like to make it available (after some cleanups and extra features) for
> other filters to use too, but
> - do we really need such a lib/class ? most filters are being developed
> independently, and already have kword bookkeeping code now.

But
- if KWord's format evolves, they'll all have to change
- there may be new filters developed in the future, which would benefit from this lib.

> - if we need one, would it be better to keep the interface simple (like now)
> and rather functional (its an object now, but with a bunch of functions like
> createInline(QDomElement paragraph, ...) so its rather functional instead of
> OO), or should i better rewrite it in 'correct' OO (like
> paragraph.createInline(inline) instead of
> KWDWriter->addInline(paragraph,inline)) ... if i will be the only user of the
> kwdwriter class, i'd rather keep it simple.

Doesn't make much difference IMHO. If you want to avoid a profusion
of classes, keep it that way.

> And additionally, it would be really helpfull if someone updated the kword
> dtd to contain commentary for the following things so i'd know how to support
> them...
Ah, yes, forgot to do that before 1.1.

>   // ## Missing: lWidth, rWidth, tWidth, bWidth  (pt)
>   //    lStyle, rStyle, tStyle, bStyle
>   //    lRed, lGreen, lBlue
>   //    rRed, rGreen, rBlue
>   //    tRed, tGreen, tBlue
>   //    bRed, bGreen, bBlue

Frame borders (width, style and color).

>   //    bkRed, bkGreen, bkBlue

Frame background color

>   //    bleftpt, brightpt, btoppt, bbottompt

Frame border margin, not supported yet (was in 1.0, hence the existing name).

Will update the DTD.

http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~david/ , http://www.konqueror.org/