List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Patch for KPresenter (Color tool bar Button)
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-07-07 9:18:58

On Saturday 07 July 2001 12:04, Toshitaka Fujioka wrote:
> It is unification of user interface.

But that's exactly the problem here.
In KWord the interface is very unified, because all the toolbar buttons show
the state of the text under the cursor (bold, italic, _and_ color - all the same).
Now, I just tried KPresenter, and it does the same ! If you select a text object
and click "italic", it applies that, then select another object, italic will be
unchecked in the toolbar button, and if you click on the text object again,
italic is shown again. So the button shows the state of the object.
Why should it be different for the color button ?
To toggle the italic state one would simply click the toolbar button, and
to change the color, one has to open the submenu or click the button to get
the dialog. Yes it's one more click than just "applying the last color shown
on the button" as you suggest, but I think it's much more consistent, with
all the rest (the rest of the kpresenter buttons, and kword).

> I consider two buttons to be needless in
> order to open color dialog. Picture icon applies a direct color. Under arrow
> icon opens color dialog. Even if picture icon doesn't work with KWord.

A button that does nothing is a very bad idea imho !

> No, I think that the same icons should do the same action. Because, I think
> that a user is confused.

Ok, no configurable behaviour then... But I suggest a unified interface among all
"state" buttons in all koffice apps, and this would mean, fixing KPresenter so that
it shows the (background and foreground) color of the selected object inside the
toolbar buttons.