List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KPresenter sloooooww...
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-05-30 11:24:47

On Wednesday 30 May 2001 12:56, Werner Trobin wrote:
> Would it be possible not to call completeSaving (XML + images)
> in the common case but just saving the XML? The app could "tell"
> KoDocument that it has to save completely e.g. after inserting
> or removing images/parts/cliparts/...
> This could be implemented in a BC way, and we can make it default
> to the safe variant (completeSaving).

That sounds good... but if the app crashes, and we offer to load the auto-saved file,
it will only have the XML ....... so somehow we'd have to go pick up the pictures
and embedded objects in the real document instead ? That sounds a bit harder to
do, already.

> Saving the XML in KPresenter takes a lot less than a second even
> on reasoably large presentations... maybe we should have a progress
> bar (like in MS Office) for that.

You mean, using the standard progress bar ? If KPresenter emits the signals
(does it?) then it's simply a matter of connecting them (as you did in so many
other places ;-)

> By doing that and by providing a common config dialog to configure
> the timeout we could "fix" that IMHO.

It's hard to provide a common config if we want the config dialogs to look
like the current kword and kspread ones (kdialogbase with iconlist).
What would we factorize ? One kintnuminput ? :) Doesn't look worth it.