List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KPresenter sloooooww...
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-30 10:56:23

David Faure wrote:

> On Wednesday 30 May 2001 04:22, Pascal A. Niklaus wrote:
> > Yesterdays KPresenter as well as KPresenter from the KOffice 1.1 beta2 are
> > *very* slow compared to KPresenter 1.0.
> > Sometimes the GUI hangs for 5 seconds or even more, without obvious reason.
>
> Hrmm... that's the autosave feature......
> For big kpresenter documents it's indeed a problem...
> And there's no config for it in kpresenter yet.
> Either this should be added, or it should be turned off completely I guess
> (kpresenter is quite stable, didn't get a crash in a *very* long time)

<thinking loud>
Would it be possible not to call completeSaving (XML + images)
in the common case but just saving the XML? The app could "tell"
KoDocument that it has to save completely e.g. after inserting
or removing images/parts/cliparts/...
This could be implemented in a BC way, and we can make it default
to the safe variant (completeSaving).
Saving the XML in KPresenter takes a lot less than a second even
on reasoably large presentations... maybe we should have a progress
bar (like in MS Office) for that.

By doing that and by providing a common config dialog to configure
the timeout we could "fix" that IMHO.
</thinking loud>

That said I have to say that the "we should == I will" rule doesn't
apply here, unfortunately (except if you can wait for a few weeks ;).

Ciao,
Werner

--
Werner Trobin - trobin@kde.org